One of the largest Government departments, design at the Home Office is on a big scale. The department leads on immigration, crime, fire and counter-terrorism.
Design Ops helps to ensure a high quality of delivery, reducing inefficiency and waste that can emerge from design and delivery at scale. We do this by increasing collaboration and sharing and improving the design workflow.
We are a small team of senior designers and the Heads of design. Our role is to increase the standard of design, support teams deliver exceptional services and ensure the quality of deisgn is high.
I love working in a Design Ops role. I take the lead in 3 areas.
I go into more detail about my work on the design system here. Our design system plays a crucial role in the community:
- a place to share and work in the open
- a cross-Government work, that improves 100s of services
- modelling design standards for Home Office individuals and teams
- documenting learnings that would otherwise have been lost (or saved in sharepoint never to be found again)
- creating a common language that people can use when talking about design
Creating a design language for Government departments - laying the foundations for a more consistent experience for Government staff users.Design language casestudy
Creating guidance so teams don't waste time and effort finding out how to do the things they need in order to deliver services to their users.Delivery manual casestudy